* Czechoslovakia: in a Czechoslovakian tourist agency: Take one of our
horse-driven city tours - we guarantee no miscarriages
* Denmark: in a Copenhagen airline ticket office: We take your bags and send
them in all directions.
* Greek/Greece: in a hotel in Athens: Visitors are expected to complain at the
office between the hours of 9 and 11 A.M. daily.
* Romania: in a Bucharest hotel lobby: The lift is being fixed for the next day.
During that time we regret that you will be unbearable.
* Russia: at a monastery: You are welcome to visit the cemetery where famous
Russian and Soviet composers, artists and writers are buried daily except
* Russian/Russia: a translated sentence from a Russian chess book: A lot of
water has been passed under the bridge since this variation has been played.6
* Sweden: in the window of a Swedish furrier: Fur coats made for ladies from
their own skin.
* Switzerland: in a Swiss mountain inn: Special today - no ice cream.
* Taiwan: the translation of the Pepsi slogan "Come alive with the Pepsi
Generation" came out as "Pepsi will bring your ancestors back from the dead".
* Thailand: an ad for donkey rides asked "Would you like to ride on your own
* Thailand: in a Bangkok dry-cleaners: Drop your trousers here for best results.
* Thailand: in a Bangkok temple: It is forbidden to enter a woman even a
foreigner if dressed as a man.
* Yugoslavia: a sign in a hotel read "The flattening of underwear with pleasure
is the job of the chambermaid. Turn to her straightaway.".
* South Africa: in a Rhodes tailor's shop: Order your summers suit. Because in
big rush we will execute customers in strict rotation.